Friday, September 2, 2011

Mandatory Study Groups and Workshops: Yea or Nay?

I have an extremely busy life (remember the whole 4-kids-thing…?). Thus, any free time I have in the day needs to be devoted purely to studying. I had hoped that coming to law school would mean I was finally considered mature enough to escape those strict attendance policies and mandatory “talk about your feelings” groups that I experienced in undergrad, but, apparently, not! 

At least once, often times twice, a week we are required to attend Academic Success Workshops and Structured Study Groups.

I have no issue with these groups and workshops being provided for those who WANT the extra help.  I do, however, have real issue with them being required for all. I am in professional school. I am enough of an adult to decide for myself if I want to be in a study group, workshop, or even come to class at all.

Any other 1Ls with me on this?!

2 comments:

  1. I refused to attend any of the "mandatory" groups and workshops at my law school. If it didn't have a grade attached that would appear on my transcript, I just said no and amused myself watching our "academic success coordinator" fume in impotent rage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious! I might do the same!

    ReplyDelete